Updated: Jul 9, 2019
Here's a collection of my favourite quick and most used spreads that I use in my practice.
What is a Tarot Spread?
A spread is a particular layout that gives structure and guidance to a reading. A set spread usually helps elaborate on your question and gives a sense of structure to a general reading where there might not be a specific question. I use spreads to resolve everyday issues and to increase my own self-awareness. They also help me to develop my own interpretations of the cards in the context of where they are placed in the layout and so I don't need to rely on traditional or 'book' meanings.
Some spreads will also give you a layout in which you should lay your cards but the spreads I've included here can be lay out in any way you'd like. For example, you could lay them in a straight line from left to right, you could make a circle, triangle or diagonal lines - whichever way you'd like!
1. Interview Spread
I use this spread every time I get a new deck. It gives me an insight into the energies of the deck and lets me know how I can best work with it to get the most meaningful reading.
1. What is your most important characteristic?
2. What are your strengths as a deck?
3. What are you limitations as a deck?
4. What are you here to teach me?
5. How can I best learn and collaborate with you?
6. What is the potential outcome of our relationship?
*I found this at littleredtarot.com (along with lots of other helpful stuff!)
2. Energy of the Situation
This spread gives me an insight into the energy of a situation - especially if I'm unsure about it. I use this quite often as it doesn't require a specific question, there just has to be something going on that I want a bit of clarity about.
1. What is the current energy of the situation?
2. What do I need to know that I don't already?
3. How can I best navigate it?
This spread sheds a little light on any obstacles that might be holding me back or getting in my way as well as providing a suggestion on how to get past them.
1. Current situation
2. Current obstacle/blockage
3. How to overcome the obstacle?
This is quite straight forward - it gives an overview of the where I'm at with my chakras! It allows me to check in and see where might require a little attention and healing. You could elaborate on this spread further by adding specific chakra related questions see brackets.
1. Root (How can I ground my energies better/feel more secure/feel emotionally secure?)
2. Sacral (How can I find more pleasure in life/release my creativity/be more flexible in life?)
3. Solar Plexus (How can I be more confident/improve my self-esteem/be more motivated?)
4. Heart (How can I open my heart more/forgive myself/release past hurts?)
5. Throat (How can I speak my truth/communicate confidently/share my feelings?)
6. Third Eye (How can I trust my intuition/enhance my psychic abilities/see more clearly?)
7. Crown (How can I connect with Source/connect with the collective/be more present?)
5. Card for the day
This spread can be used daily to give you insights into the day ahead of you! You can use all three cards or just the 1st one (I generally don't have much time in the morning so usually just choose #1 - the card for the day)
1. Card for the day (important aspects of the day ahead)
2. What might require attention (issues, relationships etc)
3. What I should look out for (feelings, reactions etc)
This is just a small sample of all of the possible combinations of layouts and spreads that you could use. Really, the possibilities are endless because its entirely down to you and your imagination. There are no rules here, so feel free to come up with your own spreads that speak most to you!
I'd love to know what spreads you use for your readings or if you have any suggestions for any that I should try!
Happiness & Blessings,